Monday, February 22, 2010

The faces of entrepreneurship ((asia, entrepreneurship))

In my travel through Hong Kong and Vietnam, I have seen many things but one thing that always captured my attention and heart is the spirit of entrepreneurship.

In the tiniest spaces, the most obscure corners and even in the most unusual locations – entrepreneurship flourish.  With all gender, ages and sales tactics – their enthusiasm and smiling faces is a great reminder for me to keep on trying even in the hardest time.

Entrepreneurship happens…

Entrepreneurship

Here in this corner…..

coworking2 The faces of entrepreneurship

And here on this makeshift mobile meat cart….

Entrepreneurship

And way out here where he lays his shrimping net…

coworking4 The faces of entrepreneurship

And here late at night because despite her age retiring is not an option….

 

coworking7 The faces of entrepreneurship

AND finally here, with a little girl who broke my heart and stole it at the same time.  She was selling postcards while I was eating breakfast with my family.  Only 10 years old, she carried a big box of postcards asking me if I want to buy some in Vietnamese.  She said you cannot leave Nha Trang without some postcards to remember it by.  I don’t even think I can form a full comprehensive thought at the age of 10, let alone walk all day to convince tourists to buy post cards.   

I asked her if I can take a picture of her to remember her by, she agrees but only if I let her pose.  She quickly puts her box of postcards and gum down to pose.  She insisted on letting her see the picture to make sure it is perfect.  It is as she is absolute perfection in my eyes.  At the age of 10,  she has already learned how to hustle to support her family.  Of course I bought all her post cards, she was a great little sales lady.

As I prepare to leave Asia in a week time, I hope to return soon to see the same smiling faces and enthusiasm very soon.  They reminded me to be a little less selfish, a bit more appreciative of what I have, work a little harder and more importantly smile a little more. I can’t help alleviate their hardship or contribute in any significant way that matters but I do hope my small purchases made a difference in that day and got them to smile just a bit bigger.

Posted via email from minna's posterous