Friday, October 2, 2009

If you don't know... now you know.

For those who know me, know I would reschedule a meeting, purposely avoid a phone call or shush you because I am watching Star Trek: The Next Generation.

It has to be Star Trek: The Next Generation and no other series in the long running franchise. It was one of the very first TV shows that I learn English from and also the very theme song that I fall asleep to every night in elementary school and some of high school.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

I argue that Star Trek: The Next Generation has a lot to do with shaping my adolescent life.  The generator which produces food at will and any thing you need, the holodeck which can recreate any environment you want and the transporter (THE TRANSPORTER) were the things that got me very curious about engineering and computer science. 

I later did a paper on the transporter as part of my university thesis on how every time some one is “transported”  they literally have to die each and every time until their molecules are rearranged, the end result is a different person as their molecules are re-arranged according to a memory file kept on record thus that’s how reverse transport can happen. 

Yes I am slightly obsessed.  But the very idea of exploration and to boldly go where no one has gone before is so entrenched in my mind and heart, that it is the very principles I use as my guideline for life.  I think that is why I decided to become an entrepreneur, to explore my own possibilities and to challenge myself to go beyond boundaries.  It was amazing to reflect back and to only come to this realization of how Star Trek: The Next Generation is so critical in shaping my life through a coffee chat with a friend of mine a few ago.

I still watch Star Trek: The Next Generation today and still find it SO FASCINATING!  The level of diplomacy, the intricate technologies and the technical language being used makes me feel like I am seeing each and every episodes for the first time.

I know there is a new Star Trek movie coming out, it is based on the original Star Trek series so I am excited to see it but I don’t know if it will have the exploration theme that Star Trek: The Next Generation has. 

Now if I can get myself to one of the Trekker conventions in Vegas, my life will be complete :)
 
Quote of the day:
 
"Fate protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise"
Cmdr. Riker

Posted via email from minna's posterous